ACPAC is a hybrid academic and clinical training program that prepares experienced physical therapists, occupational therapists, and nurses for extended practice roles in the diagnosis and management of patients with arthritis. The program focuses on the assessment, diagnosis, triage and independent management of select musculoskeletal (MSK) and arthritis disorders. It is an adult-learner, competency-based interprofessional program currently delivered in episodic format over a 10-month period in Toronto.
The program is focused on the entire spectrum of advanced arthritis care. Five intensive one-week sessions held on-site (Components II and IV) and off-site (Component I and III) between October and June of each year. The four components of the program are:
- Component I- Advanced Rheumatology Theory (on-line);
- Component II- Advanced Assessment and Management Integrative Sessions;
- Component III- Advanced Clinical Training in Rheumatology (general adult and paediatric rheumatology, as well as surgical/specialty clinics);
- Component IV- Health Promotion, Advocacy and Leadership in Arthritis Care
- To offer a curriculum of rigorous, current post-entry-to-practice basic science, clinical science and therapeutic management learning experiences as they relate to the musculoskeletal/arthritis care fields.
- To facilitate the participant’s learning of best practices through extensive clinical experience in the musculoskeletal/arthritis care fields.
- To develop and prepare healthcare practitioners (Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, and Nurses) to be competent, independent clinicians who engage in extended practice roles in selected areas of musculoskeletal/arthritis care fields.
- To develop and prepare healthcare practitioners to triage patients with osteoarthritis and inflammatory arthritis.
- To promote a novel model of arthritis management and care that optimizes scarce healthcare resources by utilizing highly trained health professionals to promote and implement interprofessional patient-centred collaborative care.
Important Program Dates 2018-2019
- Includes the conference “14th Annual Arthritis Day” Saturday October 27, 2018
Week 3 - February 4-8, 2019
Week 4 - April 8-12, 2019
Week 5 - June 3-7, 2019